On Tuesday 28th November at Dive NQ, Manchester, 30 of the UK’s most Potter mad influencers attended a Wizarding World themed games night. The fancy-dress evening featured both official Harry Potter games, and some old classics with a wizarding twist!
Hosted in the ‘Snug area’ of the amazing Dive NQ which already resembled the Gryffindor common room with the dark woods and burgundy curtains, and with our added decor touches it made it the ideal magical venue. On entry our guests were sorted into teams; #TeamHarry, #TeamHermione, #TeamHagrid, #TeamRon, #TeamLuna and #TeamDobby. To score the night, gems were given out for both participation and for winning games.
Official games included:
- Harry Potter Cluedo a game of deduction, designed to test the detective skills and separate the witches/wizards from the muggles/squibs.
- Harry Potter Top Trumps Match Game a head to head strategy game, with a Connect 4 influence.
- Harry Potter Quidditch World Cup we went retro with this one, played on a large projector, we pitted houses against each other on the PS2.
- Harry Potter Trivial Pursuit where we discovered who was more Neville than Hermione.
- Harry Potter Top Trumps A childhood classic and a great way to reminisce about all the characters that feature in the films
Other magical games:
- Exploding Snap, restricted by lack of access to real magic we had to improvise to recreate this iconic game in Harry Potter. Played with our Hogwarts Playing Cards and paired with hundreds of party poppers; instead of the traditional slapping down of one’s hand and shouting snap, once a pair was found it would be the first person to let off a party popper who would take the win.
- Mind Reader, a Paladone favourite inspired by ’20 Questions’, but with a Harry Potter twist. People would rack their brains for anything from the Wizarding World for others to guess. As the night went on the competition got tougher and tougher as people were testing people Potter knowledge as far as possible – Jimmy Peakes anyone??
- Wand Making – “The wand chooses the wizard. That much has always been clear to those of us who have studied wandlore…”. This made for our arts & crafts section of the evening, with glue guns, cut up doweling, some paint, glitter and a lot of imagination, guests were able to design their very own wand – and never have I seen so many sparkly wands in all my days.
- Beer Pong – Nothing Harry Potter themed about this one, but it wouldn’t be a Paladone social event without it!
Everyone who attended got goody bags filled with Harry Potter merch by Paladone and a pair of Harry Potter specs by Rubies – check them out for all your fancy dress needs! Winners of the evening were #TeamHagrid edging #TeamLuna by just 6 gems! – and they all walked away with some more great Paladone Harry Potter gifts. Our friends at Danilo offered to sponsor our best dressed competition, so Marvellous Mrs P and Tired Mummy of Two left with a calendar each for their amazing efforts!
Thanks everyone who came and everyone who got involved on social media, we had an amazing time!
Check out the night from the point-of-view of some of our amazing guests: