Apple and Cinnamon filled Pumpkin cupcakes with Apple Spice cream cheese frosting.
Oven temperature 180c/350f/gas mark 4
230g Plain flour
130g Caster sugar
100g light brown sugar
120mls Vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Baking powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
190g Pumpkin puree
3 medium apples, chopped
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons water
Cream cheese frosting
200g cream cheese, room temperature
50g unsalted butter, room temperature
600g icing sugar
1 teaspoon Apple Spice flavouring
1. In a large bowl place flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Using a hand whisk, mix together well and set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer beat both brown and white sugar together until no lumps remain.
3. Add oil and mix on a low setting.
4. Add eggs one at a time and continue to mix slowly.
5. Add pumpkin puree and vanilla extract and mix until all wet ingredients are well combined.
6. Sieve dry ingredients into the wet mixture and continue to mix on a low setting until well combined.
7. Divide between 12 cases and bake in pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until soft but springy to the touch.
Apple filling method
1. Place all filling ingredients in a pan and cook at a medium temperature until apples are soft.
2. Set aside to cool.
Cream frosting method
1. Place butter and cream cheese in an electric mixer and beat together until light and fluffy.
2. Add the icing sugar a little at a time until all ingredients are well combined and light and fluffy.
3. Add apple spice flavouring.
4. Place in fridge until ready to use.
To assemble cupcakes-
Core out center of each cupcake and fill with 1 teaspoon of apple cinnamon mixture. Pipe cream cheese frosting on top of cupcake as desired.